As this is targeted at makers and early adopters some configuration will be needed by you. Here are some basic steps to get you started in no time!
With the image file downloaded, you need to use an image writing tool to install it on your SD card. If you downloaded a ZIP version, unzip the .img file first before the next step.
Choose the right guide for your system below (courtesy of Raspberry Pi website – thanks ? ):
- Mac OS
- Windows (avoid if you can as people have reported issues flashing their card from Windows)
- Once the image is written on the SD card, remove it and re-insert it in your (non-Windows) laptop and change the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf by entering you WiFi’s SSID and passkey inside the “”.
- Replace the SD card back in the Raspberry Pi
- Align and insert carefully the LCD in place removing the protective film if present
- Take all necessary precautions before applying mains voltage!
- If you cannot cut off the power on the cables, you are risking of HestiaPi booting before the LCD is connected. In such a scenario the LCD will not display anything but a blank white screen and you would need to restart. We would advise to leave the SD card out before applying mains voltage and just before you are about to close the case, insert it but dont restart. Once you close the case, use something long like a screwdriver but non-conductive and through the top holes of the case press the little reset button located on the right of the LCD connector facing up.
- If at any time you want to remove the top case, there is one small round hole on each top and bottom edge of the case that push the internal hooks that keep the top case with the back plate secured. Use a pin or paperclip to push each side at a time but be gentle. Only a 2-3 mm push is needed to release them.
- Connect Heating and Hot Water control lines on the terminal block’s top contacts.
- Connect mains wires on the bottom contacts, marked L and N.
- After a few seconds the screen will show if the WiFi is connected and what is the local IP it got (DHCP)
- The full installation may take up to 7-8 minutes for the very first time. Just leave it alone. You can always SSH to it. Use pi/hestia
- For the BME version the SD card image expands to occupy the complete size of the card if it is detected bigger than 3.9GB. A reboot may occur automatically and boot will continue as normal.
- While waiting, head over to the downloads section and download the smartphone app on your phone. Under settings set Local OpenHAB URL as http://[hestiapi_IP]:8080 and close the application
- Once the LCD is showing the UI, try and load the app again or simply use your laptop and navigate to: http://[hestiapi_IP]:8080/start/index and select “Basic UI”
- You should now be able to control the basic functions from either the App or your laptop
- Configure your local time (UTC by default) via SSH using the raspi-config command
- Please note that the UI of app, web and LCD will change in next release once the supported features and the casing are final so avoid customising them too much apart from getting familiar with the interface of OpenHAB2. OpenHAB2 has a great forumwith so much information from fellow users. Salivate at what you want to make now with it.
- Feel free to explore the files under /etc/openhab2 names default.* in folders items, rules, sitemaps and things.